Nestled amongst the stunning Sangre de Cristo mountains, the southernmost portion of the Rockies, Santa Fe is bursting with endless possibilities for outdoor activity and adventure. While there are countless pursuits to choose from, we here at DiscoverSantaFe feel that rafting trips are one of the best and most exhilarating ways to experience the beauty and splendor of New Mexico!
If you’re looking for an unforgettable adventure in Santa Fe – look no further than Kokopelli Rafting Adventures. This leading rafting company has been offering a variety of whitewater kayaking and rafting trips on the picturesque Rio Grande and Rio Chama rivers since 1991 and have gained continuous acclaim for their outstanding staff, impeccable service, and relentless commitment to safety.
With a variety of trips to choose from, rafting with Kokpelli is the perfect activity for friends, families, youth groups, team building, family reunions, birthday parties and more. A Kokopelli adventure is more than just a rafting trip – it’s an experience that you’ll remember forever.
Santa Fe’s Top Rated Rafting Outfitter
Kokopelli first arrived on the Santa Fe rafting scene in 1991 and has maintained its elite status as Santa Fe’s top rated whitewater rafting guide service. Kokopelli has received Trip Advisor’s Certificate of Excellence every year since 2015, and they even received the Hall of Fame award by earning the Certificate of Excellence for five consecutive years.
Part of what sets Kokopelli apart from other Santa Fe rafting companies is their commitment to ensuring the best training for their guides. Committed to delivering the best (and safest!) whitewater rafting experience, Kokpelli guides go through an 80 hour training course and are trained to meet the US national and International Rafting Federation’s international standards. You simply can’t find better guides anywhere around!
Kokopelli’s diverse team is made up of some exceptional rafting guides, roughly half of which are females. A unique statistic in the male dominant rafting industry, Kokopelli believes their female guides help bring a unique energy to the variety of group trips that they offer. Each with their own unique personality and know-how, Kokopelli guides are simply a step above the rest – you’ll love getting to know them!
Trips For Any Group Size and Experience Level
No matter whether you’re traveling solo, with a few friends, or with a large group – Kokopelli has you covered. The company’s variety of rafting trips can fit into nearly any Santa Fe itinerary, which makes them perfect for day trips, weekend trips, or longer visits to The City Different.
Kokopelli currently offers the following trip lengths:
- Half Day trips last roughly 2 to 3 hours and are perfect for those who are looking to get their feet wet in whitewater or who don’t have the time to fit in a full day on the river.
- Full Day trips can last anywhere from 4 to 8 hours and are great for family bonding, team building, and extended excursions with friends.
- Multi Day trips are the most immersive option Kokopelli offers and give folks a chance to experience the beauty of New Mexico for several days at a time.
Rafting Down the Mighty Rio Grande & Rio Chama
Kokopelli Rafting offers trips down the Rio Grande and Rio Chama, two beautiful bodies of water that flow through cliffs, canyons and historical sites and offer the best rapids in New Mexico. Both of these enchanting rivers are conveniently accessible, located just over an hour north of Santa Fe.
A few of the many trip destinations offered by Kokopelling Rafting include:
- Racecourse: The perfect half-day trip, the Racecourse is a 5 mile section of the Rio Grande that is runnable all year long and perfect for both beginners and more experienced rafters. Most popular with families and large groups, this option is sure to give rafters of any experience the thrill of a lifetime! Kokopelli offers Half Day trips for the Racecourse.
- Taos Box Canyon: For those more adventurous souls, the Taos Box canyon is the trip for you. Sure to get your adrenaline going and your heart pounding, this dramatic and remote 16 mile portion of the Rio Grande reaches depths of up to 700 feet and features Class 3 & 4 rapids. As you raft through some of the most advanced class IV whitewater in New Mexico, keep an eye out for bald eagles, Bighorn Sheep and Great Blue Heron. Kokopelli offers Full Day and Multi Day trips for the Taos Box.
- Rio Chama: Rest and recharge more your style? The calm and flowing waters of the Rio Chama grant a slower pace, which allows rafters of nearly any age to sit back, relax and enjoy the majestic New Mexico scenery. Kokopelli offers Full Day and Multi Day trips down the Rio Chama.
Commitment to the Environment
Kokopelli understands that their river trips offer more than just short-lived adventures. Trips down the river are a way to connect with the land, its inhabitants and its history. The rivers may offer opportunities for recreation but they are also gateways to expansive wilderness canyons and home to biodiverse ecosystems, brimming with activity and life.
With this in mind, Kokopelli strives to promote environmental stewardship with sustainable initiatives such as recycling food and beverage containers, using recycled paper for release forms, and purchasing green electricity credits to compensate for power used at their facilities. All Kokopelli guides are also certified in Leave No Trace ethics, further bolstering their commitment to taking care of the places they venture to.
Ready for the ride of your life?
To get started on your adventure with Kokopelli Rafting Adventures, head to the company’s website where you can book trips and discover more information on group tours, reviews, guide info, and more! Enjoy the ride!
Where and when you can find Kokopelli Rafting Adventures:
Book online 24/7 at: www.kokopelliraft.com
Rafting trips run 7 days a week.
Office hours: 9AM-6PM
May through September/October
Exact dates are posted on the website.